Green roof benefits
– Green roof act like an external “live” barrier which isolate internal rooms of a building, from heating and cold.
– A 10 cm-thick soil layer is enough to control the heat penetration.
– Studies show that the green roof is more effective in a hotter and drier climate as urban heat temperature can be reduced more effectively.
– In Dhahran and Riyadh, the green roof can reduce the energy consumption by 6.7% and 6.8%, respectively.
Green roofs tips
– Choose a substrate which permit an high water condensation, such as cockles and stones, which are able to serve as a sink for nutrients in deserts areas, better than normal soil.
– Choose the right plant species: the ones which are able to resist at high temperature, drought, and high daily temperature range.
– This kind of solution doesn’t need deep substrate cause the roof of these species which are able to grow in less than 20 cm of soil (50–150mm thick) and a weight of 20 to 170 kg/m2.
– The maintenance of these green roofs is minimal, as it concern little weeding and few plants jobs.
– Geoplast COMPLETA furnished with Sedum could be a perfect a solution in case of extensive green roof.
Webinar is presented by Riccardo Cavallini, our Business Development Manager for Middle East and East Europe.